In Memorial

One would think that time would make the pain less or fill the hollow. It's same and I miss you always


Still remember mum's scream
As neighbors lifted you
And I stood at the corner numb
And something kept blinding me I couldn't quite see clearly.



We ran, Chika and I, to Mary Slessor Hall to call Nkechi. We ran all the way bare foot and in the most ridiculous sleep wear. She asked that we go home so she joins mum in the hospital. On our way home, Chika asked me to pray. She handed me a rosary and I wondered why she had two.



I prayed and prayed just like you taught but you left anyway. It was meant to be a really happy day but you left. It was Njideka Maduagwu's matriculation but you left anyway. Mum was meant to cook for a crowd. We were meant to dance all day but that meant nothing cos you left papa. 


I remember the first handful of wet brown sand thrown on your casket. It was so loud and I shook where I stood. Ada stood behind me and kept asking me not to fall apart. "Think of mum! Don't cry! Be strong for her..." She kept saying. Mum walked by and asked how I was doing. Her husband, her man, her person, confidant just got buried and she's worried about me.


We got by. 11 years we got by through happy and sad moments, with the strength you gave and love you imbibed. More people joined you. More people we love! I guess you've seen them all. 


I miss you, papa! I miss you so much it burns. I wish we took more pictures. I wish we talked more. I wish we had more time. I miss you every passing day. 

You are fondly remembered on the 11th year. May your soul rest in peace!


Ochiora 
15-1-2016

Comments

  1. He lives so close in our hearts, yet so far from our reach. I refuse to let the tears flow. RIP, Akamha 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt know nor meet him.. but i can tell frm his nice and wonderful children that he was indeed a Great man. may he soul continue to rest in peace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back in time

Back in time (2)

Tales from foreign restaurants