Back in time


Piak! Shiap! Piak! Goron!Don't be scared! I'm not mad yet! How else would you want me to explain mum's 'konks' (knocks) and slaps! I would have used 'whoop' but then you would think its just one weightless chiding followed by "..go seat in your naughty chair" or "You are grounded for a day! Go to your room!" My mama no get that kine time! The only ground you get to see is when she's rubbing your nose in it. See eh...if you ever thought that seeing stars after a slap was just some sort of cartoon exaggeration then you must be mistaken! Mum's slap will make you see a galaxy. There was no "..I'm sorry mum. I won't do it again." Hahahahaha! Imagine! She's stammering with anger, holding on to your trousers or whatever you are wearing and hitting your back side with so much vehemence over some silly thing you did...all you will be shouting is E kpo m nooo (I'm finished)...a nwu m noooo (I'm dead) ...mama m noooo (my mother)...hahahaha...the same one that is hitting you.I come from a family of...of...still counting! All I know is that my family yapa (is large) and in all truth, growing up was fun! Dad wasn't a military man (dear primary school mates, forgive me for that lie that he was! Ah ah! Na primary school na. It was the only way I could compete with you people's lies) but we were raised like military kids. Slaps, kicks, konks and throws got shared at will to normalise us. Looking back now, I love my parents more. If no be say dem beat us eh, na only Jehovah go fit explain wetin we for don become.My eldest brother at an early age of two became an 'engineer'. He 'repaired' TVs, radios, sockets and any other thing that has a wire running through it. He always had a prank up his sleeve and like sheep, we all followed him. He was the boss! Hunger made us so innovative silly wise. Ours went beyond climbing and sliding on rails, climbing trees and kissing while playing hide and seek. Naaaaa! That's kiddies play!

l still remember so well one of those days when mum wasn't around and we were on holiday, I think I was 7 or 8years. We turned mum's sewing machine into a toy car (as real toy cars was a luxury my parents couldn't afford). Big bro, as chairman, sat on the machine (owner), my other foolish bro sat where the feet is meant to be and rolled the wheel like a steering (driver) while the girls pushed the machine! 

Big bro gave orders about where he should be driven to
"To the kitchen..."
"To the bathroom..."
"To the room...not the boys' room, dad's room..." 
If for say we dey watch weight eh, we for done loose 10kg

Finally, he gave the order that caused wahala 
"To the toilet! I want to pee!"
We were so tired from all the pushing. This one don pass play, na manual labour. 
"Ogbo, we are tired o", my elder sister, Egoonu, protested
"What do you mean? Is it not turn by turn? After I'm done peeing, it will be Okwuchukwu's turn, then you, then Obunna, Nnenna and Ochiora", he replied in anger
Na wa o. Before it gets to me, I'd either be numb or dead from all the pushing.

We all grumbled but agreed and pushed him to the toilet. He stood on the sewing machine and did his thing splashing urine on us especially Obunna who was manning the wheel under the sewing machine.
"Ah! Why are you splashing urine all over me? Eh? Take it easy!", he screamed and tried to stand up forgetting that he was under a sewing machine. He hit his head so hard on the machine pushing Ogbo off the machine and into the toilet bowl. The already weak toilet bowl broke and scattered everywhere leaving only the stump on the floor and scraping off Ogbo's shin and cutting some of his toes (not off completely. Thank God)


Amidst Ogbo's scream and Obunna's "Ishi m noooo" (my head o), the girls looked confused. Since our leader is down, we all looked at our second in command, Okwuchukwu, for help. As little as we were, we all understood the chain of command. She took charge.
"Nnenna, make four cups of garri. Ochiora, get me mentholated spirit, plaster and cutting wool. Egoonu, push this machine back to the sewing room", she threw orders at us
"Only me?," Egoonu complained "How can only me push this heavy..."
"Push it," first and second in command screamed. The house shook under their thunderous voice (or so my little brain thought). I fastened my pace to get what I was asked (as the obedient one)

Nna mehn. It wasn't a small something. Okwuchukwu quickly dressed Ogbo's wounds and placed an ice pack on Obu's swollen head.
"Ora, get me the big cello tape in dad's room. Nnenna, where's the garri I asked you to make?", she asked
Nne mumbled something through a mouth filled with something. We rushed to the kitchen and found her eating garri and egusi soup.
"Food is ready", Nne announced
"Did I ask you to make food," commander asked in rage. She snatched the bowl of garri together with the ball in Nne's hand and headed to the toilet.


We followed, wondering how garri will help. Well, it did help. She patched up the toilet seat like a jigsaw with rolls of cello tape and garri and when she was done, it looked like a white clay pot. We quickly arranged the house and doubled our clothes knowing fully well that before the day ends, rain will fall on us. Obu brilliantly wore a face cap to cover his swollen head. 
Mum came home first followed by my uncle who was happy that we kept the house in good shape. He shared biscuits and ground nuts that he bought for us. We said 'thank you' through weak smiles. Fear no gree me know whether the biscuit sweet. Nnenna wrapped hers and kept away. At least after the beating, she'll have some sort of consolation in eating them. I prayed silently that nobody uses the toilet for a week or so.


"Ogbonna!!!!!!!!", my uncle screamed from the toilet
We all knew what must have happened but we ran to confirm and there he was sitting in a pool of water and broken toilet seat with newspaper in his hand! The look on his face was so funny and I giggled at the sight. 

Mum marched out from her room with a bunch of cane
"What happened?" She knows her kids too well. No day would ever pass without a drama. We all ran to the veranda hiding behind each others back and praying not to be the first to receive the wrath. The rain finally fell!

Comments

  1. Hohohohohohehehehehehahahahahahahahahaha! Choi! Laf e af kee me dai! PinkyUdo, i ma ihe iwu? I wu the G.O.A.T; Greatest Of All Time! O jeeez!

    ...Chukher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaahhaha Ochiora onye era !
    Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing hysterically! Still a big fan.
    *Kasy*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is it..........Pinky e af kill person wit laughter 4 here o. Absolutely fascinating....greatest Job as far as I can remember...keep it up love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, it's time to make this blog popular... I've not read anything more interesting in a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh hahahahahaaa! I don die! Pinky! U made me laf noisely @ midnite. U ar a bundle of talent... You are great dear! Waitin for ur novels/stories nd the awards...in the steps of Achebe nd Adichie...same Fulton Ave UNN. You also lived in that street, right? -- Emeka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laff wan carry me troway frm story building,pinky u too much joor

      Delete
  7. I love you scatter!
    Your big bros - Ogboo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinky o!you are makin ur way to d top my darling.I hv tears from laffin so. Loud.@emeka:it wasn't fulton.it is proudly ikejiani ave.keep it up babes.we r proud of you.hilarious piece.truly urs,nyo nyo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Endless kiddie adventures. Doz were fun days. I swear. Good one Pinkie. - Egoonu a.k.a Kaysmilez :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best real lif story I have read in recent time. Another Achiebe in making. Pinky see you up there

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one pinky,jst laughing my head out and my hubby is wondering wat culd be wrong wit me,thumps up menh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh pinky u remind me of the good old days, na mama we fear pass oo. She dey beat us well oo hahahaha nice 1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pinky d pinky, mor hilarious dan eva...$it gets beta, am surprised u havnt taken diz outside diz box yet or mayb u hav, cos u my dear r a bundle of talent $deserve 2b heard global. Bcos of u, I'm so in a beta mood right nw evn doe I wznt som few min ago b4 readin ur blog. Ur tales cud heal d sick, I tel u. Ride on girl, I kno u r hedin $getting 2d topmost top in little tym. Cheers #loveycares#

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha , keep it up sister!

    Nnenna ..... Ekaette

    ReplyDelete
  15. E kpom no! Ochiora! I paa eka. That was down memory lane lil sis. Cheers. Okwuchukwu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Choi! Chinweudo oooo! I gbuo la madu! Nice one dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is this a true life story. I won't mind using it in fuji house of commotion. It's really funny.kip it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is this a true life story. I won't mind using it in fuji house of commotion. It's really funny.kip it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, i can't stop laughing even after reason this. So hilarious. Your blogs do make me 4gt my manners whn i read them and laugh uncontroably. And i can't wait to read what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahahahhahahaaa what a funny gist. Just can't stop laughing. U all really formed a creative n adventurous, but also destructive crew...only God saved ur parents from a palace coup. Pinky I swear ur stories dey make sense. U don reach to collect award. Odogwu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OD, dt palace coup . . . , we must have got some people sitting on a time bomb. Btw, I know ur own stories *winks*

      Delete
  21. All those flogging and u still dey disturb.Ocho-oku 'tongues out'

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really rolled on the floor laughing, girl u r good. More of it biko

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahahahahaa! Sheediotic Pinky! See as all these women dey look me inside salon! Ayaff die oooo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah......see my belle wan burst! Kai, ikwuru nke bu eziokwu here, all of us has very similar experiences, wow! Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funstastic piece...it transported me back to my childhood...kudos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chaii!!!ayaf died oooo!!! Lǻ̀́ff:DWǻ̀́n=DKill<=-PMɐ̀́̀́̀́=))Diɐ̀́̀́̀́ I dey cinema when I dey read this thing and I almost disgrace myself with lafta, even as I dey type dis comments my fingers dey laff.... Asogwa House of Kalamity....

    Nice One Pinky....


    DOA.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Omo! See Intellectual Property!! Dope...again. D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pinky never disappoints, that's why I'd click the link anytime, no matter how tired...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pinky dear keep it up, u r so on point.
    Slimshady.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah...can't stop laughing. Nice one girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice one Ochiora!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Classic! I enjoyed reading dat,childhood was fun.where I liked best was ur sister eating garri and egusi soup in d kitchen,she no send d matter sef

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, hilarious! Pinky that's absolutely brilliant!
    The funniest is the part where your uncle was holding a newspaper in his hand! (Though I got an intel on d@ story *winks @ Egoonu).
    Anyways, great storytelling, thumbs up Pinky! Ur ur grandpa's granddaughter !!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. #awwwwwwmoments# thanks for all the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wat a short story. My dear you should publish this one cos it got me falling of my chair with my mouth opened from east to west and laffing really hard I knew I wasn't just passing gas alone it must av been accompanied with it's buddy. Jeez ur childhood must av been so hilarious. My patients can't believe thr prim n proper doctor is going nuts just cause of something on my phone. I wish I could give them all to read they will go home feeling much better. Thks dear for this moment I havnt laffed this hard in long while now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wat a short story. My dear you should publish this one cos it got me falling of my chair with my mouth opened from east to west and laffing really hard I knew I wasn't just passing gas alone it must av been accompanied with it's buddy. Jeez ur childhood must av been so hilarious. My patients can't believe thr prim n proper doctor is going nuts just cause of something on my phone. I wish I could give them all to read they will go home feeling much better. Thks dear for this moment I havnt laffed this hard in long while now.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Really lmaooooo. Hilarious!. Totally. 206 rocks mehn

    ReplyDelete
  38. on a train heading to NY from Jersey and everyone is anything away from my side right now cos 4 d last 5 minutes or so ds story has made me behave like someone headed for a mental clinic. U can imagine laughing and giggling while looking at your hand (no one could c my small phone from which I read d story).
    I'm impressed with this writeup and it's ability 2 captivate it's readers.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice one dear, you should write a book.btw you have always been Hilarious ..lol. Kemi Oloidi.

    ReplyDelete
  40. looooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll.... laughing so hard i cant breath.....***cough**,***rolling on the floor****

    ReplyDelete
  41. loooollllllllllllllllllll.....laffing so hard i cant breath.....**cough**.....**rolling on the floor**

    ReplyDelete
  42. nice one chinwe... you are a bundle of talent. this is good. i laughed all the way.

    olowoyo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Pinkyyyyyyyyyy! U won't kill me!!! I almost woke my daughter.... Nice one dear! Keep it up...Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  44. Rotflmao with tears in my eyes. My first time on your blog. Just reminded me of my mischievous childhood days.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Haaahaaaaa! Ekpo m nu o!! Chai! u guys had so much fun despite all the beatings. Just compile all these into a book. Fun house!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back in time (2)

Tales from foreign restaurants